At first glance Skwint may seem like a simple guessing game but after playing it for a bit you'll probably see it is really a game of probability. In Skwint good logic is more critical than good luck. This is especially true with the larger boards and tournaments. Here are some tips.
1. Know When to GuessIf you make your first pick and don't know where a matching piece is then you should consider picking a piece that you already have uncovered. By doing this you won't make a match but you also won't help your opponent make a match either. Use the PopUp or Chart to help assess your odds of making a match and base your decision on that.
2. Know When to SkwintDon't use your Skwints unless there are good odds it will help you to make a match. Otherwise you may wind up giving your opponent more of an advantage than yourself. Also, in general it makes more sense to use Skwints on higher value pieces unless you're at a point where it's more important to keep your opponent from taking a turn. It's all in assessing the odds...
3. Keep Track of Your ScoreEvery time you fill a column of 4 points in your scoreboard you get a new Skwint. Knowing how many points you need to score to get another Skwint may help you decide when to use Skwints, when to play it safe and when to gamble.
4. Skwinting Twice is Also NiceSometimes it makes sense to use multiple Skwints. Since Skwints are cumulative if you use more than one in a turn they will increase your chances of matching by quite a bit. Works well with #6.
5. Keep Your PlaceThe position of the pieces you pick is important. Randomly picking pieces anywhere on the board can make it hard to remember where pieces you've already revealed are. If you use a picking pattern that you can remember but your opponent isn't familiar with it can give you an advantage.
6. Don't Be Short SightedThis is where you can really start to move ahead! Pay close attention to the Chart results when using Skwints. You gain important information about the game board aside from the match you're immediately trying to make. For instance after using a Skwint and checking the Chart you might find that all of the pieces on the board have the same point value. If so then memorizing where they all are before you make your next pick can guarantee making multiple matches.
7. Partial Skwint & Penalty SettingsWhen using the Partial Skwint Setting and the Penalty Settings your strategy will probably need to change quite a bit. Since the value of a match is reduced when you use Partial Skwint scoring they become more valuable for defensive plays. When using the Penalty Settings for bad matches it really discourages playing defensively and encourages guessing.
Those are just a few strategies to think about when playing Skwint. If you want to share strategies you've found useful post them here.
Notify me of follow-up comments via email.